We are looking for a Communications Officer
- You will work with an international team for an international network of organizations that have over 20 years’ experience in democracy education, in particular with debate education;
- You will collaborate with the Executive Director of IDEA, staff of IDEA and capacity building staff in Slovak Debate Association;
- You will coordinate the Communications strategy and activities of a network consisting of 18 organizations all around Europe and three outside Europe;
- You will work with some of the most relevant associations in Europe activating in deliberative education (for example, our Romanian association partner works with over 250 schools and impacts more than 30.000 beneficiaries);
- You will benefit from professional development opportunities and access to a network of professionals who are active in the educational area (at national and international level)
- You will build upon existing strategies and products to boost the communication of IDEA
- You will be hired in the context of the Operational Grant of Europe for Citizens
Prefered period to be hired : May 6, 2019 – December 31, 2019
Your Main Responsibilities:
- Upgrade and implement the general communication strategy for the network, which can be adapted and applied locally by each of IDEA NL’s members, on the following pillars:
- Upgrade and implement our strategic plan to stimulate the development, implementation and promotion of the network’s identity internally (throughout the network) and externally (to the respective audiences);
- Upgrade and implement the developed communications’ campaign to celebrate 20 years of debate education in the network (in mainly Central and Eastern European countries)
- Develop communication products in the context of this campaign to promote debate education across Europe such as online newsletters, a policy paper, video’s and a final panel debate in Brussels
- Co-organize a capacity building workshop on communication and campaigning for IDEA members
We expect you to:
- Be ambitious, energetic, determined and to be driven to make a difference;
- Have professional experience in interpersonal relations (networking, team coordination, public speaking);
- Have strong writing and speaking skills
- Have a minimum of 2 years’ communication and public relations experience (preferably for non-profit organizations);
- Having experience in promotion of democracy or debate education is a pré.
- Be knowledgeable with basic software and online platform management is a pré (Office Suite: Word, Excel, Power Point; Adobe Suite: Photohop/Illustrator/InDesign; Online platforms: Facebook insights, Youtube insights, Google Analytics, Wordpress);
- Have at least advanced English skills (spoken and written) – you will work in an international environment 90% of the time;
- Have the ability to prioritize tasks and respect deadlines;
- Have impeccable work ethics (coming to work on time, letting the team mates know when/if you are late, not wasting time on Facebook etc.). We are a relaxed and easy-going team, but we like to work in a very professional and purpose-oriented way.
International Debate Education Association is an association of 20 network debate organisations across Europe and outside Europe. It is established in 1999 in Amsterdam, The Netherlands. We educate people in debate in order to give young people a voice for their ideas, as we believe that debating empowers them in their necessary skills, and it provides a platform for them to speak up and be heard in a safe and structured environment. We aspire to be the world's leading provider of debate education, offering debate resources, debate training and debate events to educators, youth groups and young people across the world. See www.idebate.org or nl.idebate.org.
The employee contract runs preferable from May 6 – December 31, 2019 . NOTE: The successful candidate will be hired as staff in IDEA. IDEA is willing and experienced to work with staff abroad provided that it is allowed in your country to be hired by a Dutch NGO.
Salary needs to be within scope of funding that IDEA has received from the back donor which is 11.000 euro in total (all employees costs included for the employer). The Net and Gross salary of the selected candidate will be defined in line with the salary standards of the country of origin and within this fixed budget of 11.000 euro available for this position.
To be defined
How to apply for the job opening:
Please send us an e-mail with the following Subject: “Application for the IDEA Comm position to
firstname.lastname@example.org . The application deadline will be closed at Tuesday April 23, 2019.
For more information you can contact the Executive Director Yvonne Heselmans through +31630157712 or via email@example.com
Please enclose the following documents (all in English):
- Cover letter (not longer than one A4 page);
- CV (not longer than 3 pages);
The hired staff will be co funded by the Europe for Citizens program Operational grant.